Friday, April 18, 2014

Book Review: Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal


Shades of Milk and Honey (Glamourist Histories, #1)Shades of Milk and Honey

Glamourist Histories, book 1

by Mary Robinette Kowal

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ok I admit, I messed up and put off reading this book for far too long.

Shades of Milk and Honey has been sitting in my to-read pile since the book came out in 2010. The only excuse I can make is that I tend to read books in phases, though epic fantasy has always been my main dish genre, I seem to run through phases with preferences in the side dishes I read.

Recently I have been devouring urban-fantasy along with my epic fantasy, but I have gone through phases of fantasy with a side of Sci-fi, classics, mythology or non-fiction. I had a long period where historical-fiction was in competition for replacing fantasy as my mind meal of choice, so a book that melds historical fiction with fantasy was definitely a must read.



With a Jane Austen like simplicity, Kowal has evoked a book of another time, both with the content and the prose and language used. The research and accuracy of the era and time are apparent without feeling like you are reading a history text instead of a fictional work.

The magic and fantasy is melded into the story in a seamless and unobtrusive way. Aligning the magic in the book with the historical relevance of women's arts, and skills, including the background and importance of those things in the historical context of a woman's value and marriageability was brilliant, and well done.

There is a magic in the pacing of the book, the prose and quietness of the book are deceiving, this is as much a page turner as many action packed books, but it doesn't feel like it while you are reading.

I should have read Shades of Milk and Honey sooner, the only good thing about postponing it is that I can move on to the rest of the series immediately.

I recommend the Glamourist Histories for anyone that is a fan of Regency romances, Jane Austen, historical-fiction, or fantasy of any sub-genre.

Awards:
  • Nebula Award Nominee for Novel (2010)
  • Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award (RT Award) Nominee for Fantasy Novel (2010)
  • Locus Award Nominee for Best First Novel (2011)

Details:
Series: Glamourist Histories
Published August 3rd 2010 by Tor Books

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment