Friday, December 10, 2010

Book Review: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch Book 1 in the Gentleman Bastard series
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A fresh perspective in a fantasy novel, with a pace that pulls you in and pushed you on. The characters are rich and well developed, and intriguing. A fantasy built on city world building combining the best of fantasy and urban fantasy for believable and fascinating worldbuilding.

Unfortunately I found it difficult at first to move past the language used in the book initially it was jarring and pulled me out of the story.

Jen's review May 24, 13 5 of 5 stars

Read in May, 2013
A well-written and thought out book of intrigue, cleverness, and the brotherhood of a small band of exceptionally skilled thieves. The setting is wonderful: magic and alchemy and the unexplained ruins of an alien race suffuse the world without being the central focus. Instead we get a series of cons and plots of vengeance.
The characters each had their one role to play, and sadly therefore lacked a little depth. I appreciated the inclusion of strong female characters, though they were always on the periphery. There also isn't an obvious major overarching plot that I see leading into the next book, so this book stands on its own. But after reading it I can't wait to pick up the next book as I know Lynch can weave a good story with these characters and this world.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment